Taras Shevchenko. In nature class Academy of Arts. Sketch.
[1839. St. Petersburg]. Paper, pencil. 21,7 × 28,7 cm.
Taras Shevchenko National Museum, ¹ g-410.
On the back "Plaster casts". "Stephen sitter". Sketch.
Top right is marked with ink: Number 102, III; in the lower right corner in pencil: No. 96 (number in description by G.M. Chestahivsky); at the bottom left: 10 (inverse image).
Sketch of five students of the Academy for drawing in nature class and that one sits on the floor near the sitter's podium, drawed on one of three pages of landscape sheet bended in half, registered in 1861 by G.M. Chestahivsky at number 96 in the description of the Shevchenko's drawings, which were in his academic workshops [Manuscript department Insitute of literature (Kyiv), f. 1, ¹ 459]. Later, the sheet was cutted by the line of bend.
Near one of the students, shown from the back, Chestahivsky made inscription: this Kobzar Shevchenko. Under the pupil, shown in the right bottom, which sits on the easel, Shevchenko's inscription in pencil: Alas!
Dated from the fact that in natural class Shevchenko admitted in 1839 and 1 February, he already has participated in the monthly examination for drawing from nature [Taras Shevchenko: The documents and materials for the biography. 1814 1861. S. 19]. Iconography of A.M. Mokritsky allow to identify the student near podium with him. It is known that Shevchenko and Mokritsky together June 1, 1839 took part in the examination for drawing [Ibid. P.21. ¹ 40] and at the end of 1839 Mokritsky went to Ukraine [Diary of artist A.N. Mokrytsky / Compiled by N.L. Pryjmak. M., 1975. S. 17].
First mentioned by O.O. Rusov as a picture with the inscription "Alas!" and "This Kobzar Shevchenko" [Rusov A. Collection of Shevchenko's drawings // Kievan antiquity. 1894. ¹ 2. S. 187].
Reproduced at the first time with name "Shevchenko in the academic class" in 1914 [Novitsky, Ol. Taras Shevchenko as a painter. Lviv, Moscow, 1914. Tab. 3]
Mentioned with the names: "Six Arts Academy students which painted" [Catalog of V. Tarnowski's Museum of Ukrainian antiquity / arranged by B.D. Grinchenko. Chernigov, 1900. T. 2. S. 173. ¹ 168], "Academy Class" [Product Shevchenko's Exhibition in Moscow in the 50th anniversary of his death (1861 1911). M., 1911. S. 10. ¹ 114 (on display in photocopy)].
Storage areas: from April 1861 property of M.M.Lazarevsky, later purchased by St. Petersburg's Ukrainian community, not earlier than July 1861 A.O. Kozachkovsky, not later than 1875 came to V.P. Kakhovski; from 1891 Kakhovski family, not later than 1893 transferred to S.D. Brazol; since 1898 a collection of V. Tarnowsk³; from 1899 V. Tarnowski's Chernihiv Museum of Ukrainian Antiquities, 1925 Chernihiv Historical Museum, 1933 Gallery of pictures by T.H. Shevchenko (Kharkiv), with 1948 State Museum of T.H. Shevchenko (Kyiv).
Exhibition: 1929. Chernihiv. Shevchenko exhibition [Karachevska A. Exhibition of Taras Shevchenko: guide. Chernihiv, 1930. S. 30. ¹ 10].
After publication: T.H. Shevchenko Complete Works in 12 volumes. K.: Naukova Dumka, 2003, v. 7, p. 218 219 (image), p. 425 426 (notes).